Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy 4th of July, America!

This post was first published on July 4, 2010

By Mrs. Yolli

July 4th is Independence Day in America!

On July 4, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was adopted by the Continental Congress in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This document announced America's independence from Britain.




*     *     *     *     *

Four years ago I was with my family on the Fourth of July, and we had a special event planned for the day.

My family had three old, tattered flags that needed to be retired. So on July 4th, we had a retirement ceremony.



*     *     *     *     *

The United States Flag Code states: "The Flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem of display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."



*     *     *     *     *

First, we sang some patriotic songs!






Then, my cousin Jon gave a short speech. Finally, we retired the old flags to the fire. 





Last year, my class learned how to fold an American flag


*     *     *     *     *
What did you do on the Fourth of July?

3 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs Yollis,

    I like how you and your family folded and retired the flag. On fourth of July I went to a pool party at the tennis and swim center. At the party, I played games and won many toys. We also jumped on a bouncer and went down the slide. Then we went home to rest for a hour. In the evening, we went to my grandma's house for a barbeque and to watch the fireworks.This was the best day.

    From,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Michael,

      I'm glad you enjoyed the way we folded the flag. It is a traditional way of folding a flag. Have you ever done that type of fold?

      We enjoy watching the fire works as well. They were so bright and colorful. My favorite kind are the ones that do a spirally fizzle at the end. Do you have a favorite type of fire work?

      Your patriotic pal,
      Mrs. Y♥llis

      Delete
  2. Dear Mrs. Yolllis,

    I really liked really liked how you retired the flags. on forth of July I went to the tennis and swim center. We did a lot of fun things there. My family and I swam in the warm fun pool. There were also a lot of games to play. If you win you get a very special prize. My siblings won a lot of special prizes. I liked the bouncy bouncer that had a fast slide on it and also had a basket hoop in it. One of my favorites was the zoo. it had tiny cute rabbits, a lama, and a rooster. After, we went home to rest for a few hours and then went my grandma's house to watch the fireworks. The fireworks were beautiful and we had a perfect view. The fireworks lit up the whole sky, and we also saw from where the fireworks where being sent up into the sky. I really had an amazing fourth of July.

    From,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete

* * *
Getting feedback is important to our writers. Let us know what you liked or what you learned.

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Be sure that you have proofread it for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. Students should have a parent check it!

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, choose name/url. You can leave the url blank if you do not have a blog.)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.


Important: All comments MUST be approved by me.
:-) Mrs. Yollis