Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Terrific Twitter Time





Today we had a terrific time on Twitter!

The entire adventure started with a weather tweet from one of Mrs. Yollis' blogging friends in Northwestern Ontario, Canada.

Here is that tweet: 




That got me thinking about our weather. So, I got out the thermometer and took a reading. What was the outdoor temperature in Fahrenheit (F)? Celsius (C)?



On a whim, I tweeted out a question to my PLN. (A PLN is a Personal Learning Network. These are my friends and colleagues on Twitter. We enjoy learning and sharing together.)


Here is my tweet:






Notice my tweet ends with Pls RT. That means I asked my PLN to retweet, or send my tweet out to their followers on Twitter. My hope was to spread our tweet out to as many people as possible so we might get a few responses about the weather in different locations. 

Southern California has mild winters. I wanted my students to see that weather varies quite a bit depending on location.

I can't thank my PLN enough for the learning opportunities they provided my students. Have a look!



































































































Here is one from Nebraska!


It was so cold in Nebraska, the students stayed indoors for recess!



















Here is the weather report in Reefton, New Zealand.
(Celsius)


Here is the weather report in Reefton, New Zealand.
(Fahrenheit)


Reefton, New Zealand
School is out for summer!





At the end of the day, Mrs. Jessen sent us a photo of her daughters vaporizing boiling water. 





 Here is a Vine from Mrs. Rose. (A Vine is a short, repeating movie file.) It was so cold in Northwestern Ontario, Canada, that they could vaporize boiling water too!




 





What did you learn from this experience? 

What were some of the location that we looked up in our atlases?

What are some follow up questions that you'd like to ask? 

3 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

    We learned that everybody else around the world uses Celsius except the United States of America. Heather noticed that a Vine is similar to a gif. Sheila realized that a Vine can only last a certain amount of seconds. She counted the Vine that they gave us about vaporization, and she counted approximately 8 to 9 seconds.

    The whole class looked up Bucharest and Calgary in our atlases. Bucharest is in Romania. and Calgary was in Alberta, Canada. We looked them up on Google Maps, and saw that those two places were some beautiful places to travel. If you looked them up on Google Maps, did you like it?

    What other places did we look up in our atlases?

    Sincerely,
    Heather and Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mrs. Yollis and her students,

    Isn't it interesting to learn about weather in different parts of the world? What a fun blog post to be part of. My younger brother and I had so much fun making the Vine, because we had to boil water a few times and enjoyed having a visit with each other. We felt like kids again, having fun in the snow. :)

    If you ever play with Vine and want me and my students to see it, please send a tweet to @ColleenKR with the hash tag #NipRockArt and we'll take a look. We'll be using Vine to make art, so it will be interesting to see what you can do with it too!

    Thanks so much for including me in your post. Enjoy the weather!

    Mrs. Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shayna, Ali, and our principalFebruary 4, 2014 at 9:34 AM

    Dear Mrs. Yollis,

    Ali, our school principal, and I are so excited to be learning about the weather in other parts of the world. Our principal is so impressed with our class' blogging and tweeting skills! She thinks it is a great way to learn collaboratively. She says that, "You are all twenty-first century learners!" Ali and I are very proud of our blogging skills. Thank you, Mrs. Yollis!

    Warmly,
    Shayna, Ali, and our principal

    ReplyDelete

* * *
Getting feedback is important to our writers. Let us know what you liked or what you learned.

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Be sure that you have proofread it for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization. Students should have a parent check it!

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, choose name/url. You can leave the url blank if you do not have a blog.)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.


Important: All comments MUST be approved by me.
:-) Mrs. Yollis